A Brief Story of My Life            8-20-64

Born on Jul 3, 1890, at Jensen, Utah to Jeremiah and Christina Nilsson Murray at 2:00 A. M., I remember cause I was there. There was quite a commotion, especially when they saw I was a boy, as two girls had proceeded me.  I was christened and blessed in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and given the name of Julius Guy Murray.  I was born in a log house with a dirt floor on the bank of the Green River.  My father was engaged in farming at this time.  When I was 4 years old, my parents moved to Vernon, Tooele Co., Utah, which took us about 8 days travel.  My father herded sheep for John C. Sharp that winter.  Next spring, we moved to Fairfield, Utah, then called Camp Floyd. There my father was engaged in the mercantile business.  He also delivered meat to the Sunshire Mine about 6 to 8 miles west.  At the age of 6, I started my schooling in this community.  I played games, run races around the block, and had kid fights.  I remember one day my father wanted a bucket of water.  There was running water just out in front of the store and a foot bridge crossed the creek and a small drop in the drop.  I went after the water as big as you please, stooped over the edge of the bridge, dropped the bucket under the fall and you guessed it, in I went, head first.  My father watching me all this time, figuring what would happen, well he pulled me out and took me home.  The sad part of it was my mother had just bought me a new sailor suit (blue) and I was afraid it was spoiled, but it was okay.  When mother got through with it, it was just like new.

By this time there was another boy added.  They named him Vernon Lester Murray, as he was born in Vernon, Utah just prior to moving to Camp Floyd.  At the age of 8, my folks moved to  Sandy, Utah, then a small town 12 miles south of Salt Lake City. There my father was engaged in the butcher business.  There I went to school.  My first teacher was Miss Bernice Driggs.  She was a most wonderful person, and of course, I was the teachers pet.  I would run all her errands.  At this place my sister Vivian Adella was born.  I went to school here and finished the 7th grade. Here my father bought a 5 room brick house and 7 acres for $700.00 just a quarter mile west of what is now Jordan High School.  We had two milk cows, raised pigs for meat, chickens, pigeons, and rabbits.

We raised hay for feed and potatoes and other garden produce. At the age of 12, I went hunting a job one day, I found it.  I got a job for a Mr. Frank Goff for $10.00 a month.  all I had to do was get up at 5:00 A. M., feed the four horses hay and grain and water them, curry them, and clean them.  By this time, breakfast was ready.  At 7:00 A. M. sharp, we was in the field plowing, harrowing, planting, etc.  At 12:00 we did stop for noon and feed the horses.  At 1:00 we were back in the field.  When the crops were in, the water turns started, and sometimes it was 2:00 A. M. when the turn started.  I would go with Mr. Goff with a kerosene lantern to get the water set which took about 2 to 3 hours. Then it was chore time again, then breakfast and back to the water turn.  We always went to bed about 9:00 P.M. unless it was water turns.  But you know, I really liked this man and he taught me a lot of responsibilities and he and his family observed the Sabbath day and went to church.  They were Mormons and lived good clean lives.

I was raised in the Mormon Church and went to church with my mother and attended mutual.  While in Sandy, I worked in the sugar beet fields all during the summer and fall, so in my teenage years, I had quite a struggle in school.  I had one girl friend and I took her home from Mutual one night and my father wouldn’t me take the horse and buggy anymore so that ended my romance.

In the spring of 1905, the Uintah Reservation was open for entry (for homesteading) to the white people.  My father and oldest sister, Elda, filed for 160 acres apiece. Each had to draw for a lucky number.  They received their allotment of land, so he (Dad) sold our home for $1000.00 and bought two wild horses and broke them to work.  Now mother had a cow that was her share of her parent’s property and they traded the cow for a horse, and we had one horse, so that made up two teams of horses. My father bought two wagons and two sets of harnesses and we started for the reservation.  The first day we got to Provo, Utah.  The next two days, we made it to Heber, Utah.  Here the soldiers stopped us. The Indians were on the war-path out where we were going.  After a few days, my father got permission to take one wagon and go on to the reservation. Elda went with us.   (I’ll back up here a little).  We had a few chickens we took along, and two milk cows.  Vern and I drove the cows to start with, but after the first day they just followed the wagon.  Sometimes we would ride the cows.  I used to fish in the creek there and hunt wild chickens in the mountains. I thought it was fun.

One day I went a draw. I thought sure there would be a spring somewhere, as everything was so green.  I got awful thirsty, not realizing I had gone so far, I started back but by the time I got to the creek, I could hardly walk.  I staggered to the creek and almost fell in, but I had the presence of mind not to drink too much water.  Boy that water was ice cold.  After a short rest, I started back toward our camp and you know that tent looked like a mansion to me.  That was my last adventure in the mountains.  My mother warned me not to go any more.  She was worried about me, so I just fished the creek.  (Now back to the trip).  Then one day we pulled stakes (Dad had come back) and resumed our voyage to the reservation, which took about 7 days.  We got there in time to help with the harvesting, which was working on my Grandfathers threshing machine, (in Vernal Utah).  My father was seperator man, and I hauled water with a horse and two wooden barrels on a skid for the engine (steam engine).  By this time it was freezing and I had to cut holes in the ice to dip the water bucket in to fill the barrels.  I also had charge of the toll-wagon.  at that time they took 10 bushels of grain on every 100 bushels threshed (one tenth) so I hauled the pay dirt.  My Uncle Hatch Murray run the engine, Uncle Bill took care of the grain when it came out of the hopper and sacked it up, then the farmer would take it to his granary and store it.  The farmers wife did the cooking for the threshers, most of the time there were 12 to 15 men.  Some men were feeding the machine, some stacking the straw, and others helping with the grain. We had our bed rolls with us and would sleep by the hay stack and use hay for a mattress.  Now Uncle Hatch had an extra large bed roll and each one was supposed to load their own bed roll on the wagon when we moved to another place to thresh.  Well, one day Uncle Hatch forgot to load his bed and I couldn’t lift it, so I tied a chain to it and the wagon and dragged it, which wasn’t very far.  Did he get mad??  Not at all, they were just a jolly gang and got a big kick out of it. Another time Uncle Bill had a quart cup he drank his coffee from when they made coffee.  One time he left it by the fire and I tied it behind the wagon and dragged it.  That was the climax, as they had been kidding him about the size of his coffee cup, he said, “By Hell, anytime you can’t load anything-you know how to handle it.” This is just put in for kicks, we really had fun out of work.  We finished threshing just before Christmas, then I started school and went the rest of the term in Measer Ward, Vernal, Utah.  Charlie Poltroon was the teacher there.

Next spring we moved to our homestead and pitched our tent, which was the first one on the reservation.  We landed there on Easter Sunday.  Mother and the rest of the family stayed there while my father and I went to the mountains to get our house logs to build our house.  In a few days tents started to show up in several places, but the nearest one was about 2 miles away.  The Indians were very friendly with the settlers.  By fall we had a one room log house with dirt roof and dirt floor as it was to far to haul lumber, we went to a grove of cottonwood trees about 3 1/2 miles away and cut the small trees and split them in half and made lagging to cover the roof and then we covered the lagging with burlap sacks that Dad had bought at Ft. Duchesne. They were put on to cover the cracks so the dirt wouldn’t fall through, believe me, that little cabin was warm.  That winter I rode a horse to school at Roosevelt, which was the new town that had started to build up.  It was three miles from our farm.

That winter, I finished the 8th grade without too much effort.  It was the same as the 10th grade as they were 10th grade lessons.  Johnny Lindbergh was the teacher from Provo, Utah. He was strict, but a very good teacher. Next spring my father and I with a team and slip serapen went to work helping make a canal from the Uintah River to get water to our farm a distance of about 20 miles.  We did this all with horses, plows, and scrapers.  Also it took dynamite to blast the rock ledges we had to go through.  It was called the Harding canal.  It took two summers to build it.  In the winter we would haul freight from Price, Utah.  That was the nearest Railroad.  A distance of about 90 miles and took from 18 to 20 days to make the trip. The freight was for the stores, blacksmiths, and implement houses, the consolidated wagon and machine companies. Some days we would make perhaps 5 maybe 6 miles a day, on account of deep snow or mud.  Sometimes between trips we would haul a load of coal from Vernal for someone in town or we would haul a load of lumber from the saw mill which had now started up in Dry Gulch Mountains.  We received in store trade for freight from Price, Utah, $1.50 per 100 lbs., and hauled about 3 ton with 4 horses and two wagons, one trailing the other. When we got stuck, we would unhitch the trailer and pull the lead wagon out. Then we unhitched the teams and hitched them to the trailer wagon and pull it out, hitch the wagons back together and hitch the teams to the lead wagon again and be on our way.  It was all hard work but we seemed to enjoy it.  Sometimes, there would be two or three outfits traveling together and other times we traveled alone.

These were the only resources we had to earn a living and get feed for our livestock.  When the canal was finished, we had to make a lateral ditch to our farm.  It was about a mile long, we plowed a couple of furrows, made a triangle out of 2X12 plank one side shorter than the other.  We pulled this up and down the plowed furrows to remove the loose dirt and made a ditch.  We plowed about 10 acres and went to Vernal and bought seed grain and planted it and had a good crop that fall.  Each spring we plowed and planted more until we had the whole 160 acres cultivated, the most of it was in alfalfa hay.  My father and I also helped build many government canals for Indian farms. We received $5.00 for 10 hours work for man and team when they built the Lake Fork canal.  We had a large tent and my mother and the family lived there on the river bank where there were lots of trees and grass.  We was on that job about 7 months so we had a pretty good grub steak for the winter.  It was the next spring that we started to farm. 

I farmed, freighted, hauled corral poles to fence our stock yard, worked on the roads, hauled lumber and coal, but I didn’t seem to mind and sometimes we would walk for miles behind the wagon to keep warm, as it was too cold to ride. For recreation we would go to dances in town.  (Mildred said Guy and Vern built a bob sled to go to dances in.  In the winter, they would pick up a load of kids on the way.) I used to go to the hills west of Roosevelt about 6 miles and get a load of cedar wood for Mrs. Shurtliff who owned the Hotel.  I got $3.00 for a load of wood and I’d take it out in meals when I took my girl to supper at intermission time. (at the dances). 

I really never had a steady girl. I’d take one one time, next time another, but finally one day my friend Walace Wardel and I had been to town and on the way back we saw a new family had moved in a house close to my friends place. As we passed there we saw some girls standing outside and I waved at them.  There was one about 17 years old, the rest younger.  I said to my friend, “There’s the girl I’m going to marry.” He said, “I wouldn’t doubt it.”  So I got acquainted with her and took her home from a dance and made a date for the next one.  Then we started going steady.  I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world, and still do. During that summer my father took a contract to furnish Fort Duchesne with 500 cord of pine timbers 4X4X8 ft. My sister Elda’s husband, Cecil Calvert, and I took two teams and went up the Mosby Mountain.  There we took the front running gears of a wagon and would go up on the mountain and cut down and drag to our carts three large trees, fasten them on the carts with chains and take off down the mountain.  These trees were 75 to 100 feet long, and with so much of them dragging on the ground, it still made the horses run down the slopes. We would ride on the logs to drive the horses and made two trips each day. 

On Sunday, we let the horses rest and graze in the sage brush.  There was lots of tall grass, and we would lay in our tents and read or just rest.  Some days we would saw logs instead of hauling.  We had a two man saw about 5 ft. long with a handle on each end.  We kept pulling it back and forth until the log was cut into. Then we would use axes and wooden wedges to split them up. When we had the wood cut and put in long ricks, we started to haul it to the Fort.  By this time the snow had started.  We had a halfway camp where we pitched our tent.  We would go up and get a load which would be about a cord and 1/2 of wood and back to camp.  Next morning, we took it to Fort Duchesne and back to camp that night.  We were there one month and never saw our camp in day light, as we would leave long before daylight and return after dark. sometimes when we delivered a load we’d get hay, grain, and camp supplies on the way back from  a town.  About the middle of December, I made a trip home and went to see my sweetheart and asked her to marry me.  She accepted the challenge and I went to the C. C. Larson Store and bought a plain gold ring and gave it to her.  I went back to the wood camp and told my father I was going to get married Christmas. Dad had hired another man to help with the hauling and so we were through with the job on the 23rd of December.  Edna and I had gotten permission from her folks, so we drove to Vernal, Utah and stayed with one of my aunts.  Next morning, we got my cousin Murray Merkley and his wife Retta, who was Edna’s cousin to act as witnesses and went to the court house and got our marriage license on December 24, 1910.  We came out of the license room and met Elder Don B. Colton.  He asked what we were doing as he suspected something. I told him we are going to be married and he said to sit right down and he talked to us a while, giving us some good advise.  He then performed the marriage and gave us his blessings. 

I had $2.00 and bought my new wife a scarf for Christmas.  We stayed again that night at our aunt’s place.  Next morning we took off for Jensen, Utah.  I now had my own team and buggy.  We went to my Uncle Johnny Murray’s place as they too were newly weds. We all lived together that winter.  Johnny and I did odd jobs for his brother Andrew and got paid in produce (some cash). We had a lot of fun together. At night, we would play cards or visit other aunts and uncles.  The next spring, we went back and lived with my folks on the farm.  I helped with the farm work and Edna helped with the house. We would go visit with Edna’s folks often as they only lived 2 1/2 miles away.  We were very happy together.

The following October a very special event happened.  We were blessed with a beautiful baby girl.  It was hard to find a name for her.  One day when we was visiting my in-laws, there was a man there whom my father-in-law worked for by the name of Hardin Bennion.  He owned quite a lot of property and Edna’s father managed it for him. Well we was discussing names and Mr. Bennion said once when his mother was real sick she said Marell and spelled it out M A R E L L.  When they told her about it, she said she’d never heard the name. But if I ever have another granddaughter, I’d like her named that.  So we named our lovely baby Marell and she is still lovely as she was then.

I went to work for a man one summer by the name of W. F. Ward.  He had a farm and also a store about 1 1/2 miles from our farm.  I would help on the farm and haul freight for his store.  He had two houses on his farm and my little family and I lived in one of them.  By this time our baby was a year old and so sweet.  That fall my in-laws who had seven children at the time and five later on, and my little family drove to Manti, Utah.  We having been active in the Church, in paying tithing and ward teaching was able to obtain a temple recommend so we all went to the Manti Temple and there we were sealed for time and all eternity.  We had a very enjoyable trip.  We had two white top buggies.  My brother-in-law, Claud Curtis, drove a team and covered wagon. It took us about 5 days, one way. We would camp out at night cooking on camp fires, sleeping in the wagon or on the ground.  It was real fun.  We visited in Aurora, Utah with Edna’s relatives a few days, then went back to our homes. We were gone about 3 weeks.

Next spring I learned there was 120 acres of land just 3/4 of a mile east of my father’s place open for entry, so I went to the land office and filed on it.  Then I went to the mountains and got enough logs to build a two room house. By this time lumber was available and I put a gable roof with tar paper and a lumber floor, we was sure proud of our new home.  This is where I started to learn the carpenter trade as I hired a carpenter by the name of Peter Anderson.  A Swedish carpenter, he would how me how to measure and make various cuts. While living in our new home we was blessed with another beautiful baby girl.  We were only permitted to have her for seven months when she was taken from us with whooping cough.  We were very sad and we grieved very much as our loss, her name was Bernice, but we gave our love to our first little girl.  I worked at various jobs to provide for my dear ones. 
I bought a lot in town and built a nice house on it.  A carpenter by the name of Ed Potter was building a house next to mine and we exchanged work when it was difficult for one.  I had our house nearly finished when a real estate man by the name of Freddit Holmes wanted to buy it, so I sold it.  We rented a part of Mrs. Richens house in town and I helped in a shoe shop working for Ed Newton.  He gave me $5.00 per week (6 days).  By now our little daughter was 5 years old and we was blessed with a son (Curtis Jay). Oh he was the only boy in the world.

The next spring we moved to Vernal, Utah, where I went to work for the Newton Brothers making harnesses, cowboy boots, saddles and all kinds of leather good and shoe repairing.  I stayed there 18 months, then I quit and moved back to Roosevelt and sent off for some machinery and equipment and went to work for myself.  I was doing pretty good when one day we got a letter from Ednas folks who had moved to Lehi, Utah and said there was a shoe shop for rent as the owner had died.  We went out and rented it and sold my shop in Roosevelt to a sharky by the name of Windy Johnson, all I got out of it was a model 490 Chevrolet car, I traded that to my friend Wallace Wardle for a Buick (about 1 1911) and we started for the Salt Lake Valley.  By this time we had another addition to our little family, another sweet little girl. We named her Evelyn.  She is just as pretty as the first, still is.  In the process of moving we had a trailer which we moved a few necessities .  When we got as far as Castle Gate, Utah (up Indian canyon from Duchesne Utah towards Price & Helper, Utah), the car was heating up and the motor froze up and wouldn’t run, while we were trying to decide what to do, the Stage  came along (stagecoach), and took Edna and children to Price, Utah.  There she took the train to Lehi, Utah and I stayed with the car.  Finally an empty truck came along and I gave the driver our car if he would take our belongings to the Railroad and return the trailer Willie Wardle in Roosevelt.  He did and that’s how we got to Lehi.  We rented a little adobe house on a corner just a short distance from Edna’a parents.
  I started up the shoe shop and soon had a good business built up.  Then I moved my equipment in a larger building in the middle of town and did harness and saddle work as well as shoe repairing. I also built new tops and curtains for touring cars, being as friendly as I am, I trusted too much our on credit and had to sell to pay my own debts.

Then we moved to Murray, where I ran a shoe shop for a Mr. Shurtliff that had a chain of shops and about a year later he started a shop in upper Lehi and I was transferred to that shop, so we moved back to Lehi.  I quit that job and went on a tour up through the northwest with a one-armed man by the name of Jennings.  We were gone a month and when we got back home, I took my family out to Roosevelt for Thanksgiving and we stayed there that winter.  In the spring my brother and I went to Calenti, Nevada, and worked on the railroad helping to enlarge the tunnels.  I worked there seven months as a carpenter.  While I was there, I was injured by a cave-in of rocks while working on a scaffold. I was released from the Doctor and went back to work just long enough to get a settlement for which the railroad company paid me my wages while I was disabled, (about 3 weeks).  I quit and went home and went to Bingham Canyon to try at the Utah Copper Co. I went to see the boss whose name was Charley Fansler.  When I asked if he could use a carpenter he said, “ I’m full up right now but I think I can make room for you.”  He later told me I thought you was a dependable man is the reason I hired you.
  I worked on the bridge gang repairing bridges for the railroad to haul the ore.  Some of these bridges were 990 feet high. We would work on them during the day, loosening the bolts and as the ore trains quit running for the day which was 3:30 P.M.  We started taking out the bolts and old timbers and replacing them with new material. Sometimes it would take all night to get ready for the next mornings shift.  Then we would go to the cafe and get breakfast and go back to work for the day.  The days pay for this job was $5.50 for 8 hours.  I worked there for 19 years and 8 months. When we first moved to Bingham, we rented an apartment in what was called Lower Bingham. there was just one street up the canyon just wide enough for 2 cars to pass.  We lived here 3 years and then moved to Copperton to a new house the company had built.  they built 53 of these houses for their employees.  (I think Aunt Della and Uncle Doyle lived at Bingham Canyon at this time). While working at Bingham I was taken off the bridge gang and put with another carpenter to build houses on railroad flat cars to house big motors and generators which ran the big shovels.  As they had converted the steam shovels into electric shovels, we built 32 of these flat car houses in all.  They were made of 2X12 planks and covered with 12 gauge sheet iron bolted on the outside.  These houses were 10 ft wide 6 ft high and 40 feet long.  After this job was completed I was given the job to maintain these houses as the blasting of the wore would break the planks.  Most of this work was done during the noon hour and between loads.  Then one day my boss said, “Murray, would you like to go to Copperton as maintenance man”. As I was living there, I could go home for lunch. I was happy with this opportunity as I had acquired ulcers of the stomach and was quite miserable.  I took a prescription called Slppy power which helped.  I had been in the hospital off and on for 15 years.

A neighbor and co-worker by the name of Joe Larson and I was sent to Salt Lake City to remodel a home for the superintendent of the company.  Mr. Jud Shilling.  We were almost finished with the job and I was real sick.  I had to lay in the hack seat of my car and Joe drove me home. When I got home, I took a bath and Edna had invited Pete and Florie Smith for dinner.  While eating dinner, I ate a pickled table beet and as soon as the vinegar hit my stomach, the ulcer perforated and they got Dr. Frazler to come over to our house.  The ordered the ambulance and sent me to Salt Lake City to the hospital where the doctors had been notified and they operated at once.  I was put in a room by myself, and for 9 days and nights Edna sat by my bedside, only leaving to go out and eat.  I had many friends come to see me while there.  On the ninth morning I was put out in the ward with 12 or 14 other patients.  The hospital, doctor’s fee, medicines and nurse care all was $1.00 per month and I received $16.00 per month while off work and I was off 62 days before the doctor released me. then I went on light duty and since that time I have been in pretty good health with an occasional flare up.  During the depression, we only worked 10 days per month, but the company was fair with the employees that I lived in their houses and only charged rent for the days worked.  In 1936, we bought a house and 5 acres of land in Sandy and moved down there.  We bought a cow and some chickens and really enjoyed our farm life although I would have to get up early to milk the cow before I left for work.  I rode with some other fellows and had to leave at 6:15 A.M. to be to work by 7:00 A.M.  And time goes by, Edna and I and Co. executives enjoyed many outings and dinner parties together.

After renting a building from the Bank for a year they put it up for sale and I bought it for $2000.00.  We sold our little house and one acre of land for $6000.00 and build a new brick house on the other 4 acres.  This was in the summer of 1946.  We moved in our new house just before Christmas.  While we were living in Copperton, our sweet daughter Marell fell in love and married Rulon Timothy.  They had three wonderful sons, Jerry, Don, and Paul.  Rulon was a welder for the Copper co.  Rulon was a fine boy and he and I spent many pleasant hours together hunting pheasants and working on various projects.

Rulon was always willing to help me whenever necessary, and he really liked to hunt.  One Saturday night when Paul was only 2 years old, Marell and the three boys came and stayed at our house and Rulon was to come to our place Sunday after work.  We were to have dinner together as we often did.  Well, dinner was ready and we were waiting for him to come home, but instead of him coming the telephone rang and my dear wife answered the phone.  I was my sister Della calling to inform us Rulon had been killed in a cave-in where he was welding an 8 inch water pipe in a 6 foot deep trench. Marell, as usual trying to comfort here mother said, “what is it mother?  Bear up, I’m with you.” She didn’t know it was her own husband.  NO one knows what a shock something like that can be until they experience it themselves.  Marell and her boys immediately moved in with us.  Rulon was building them a new house in Riverton, Utah.  He was a very hard worker.  I helped him to build the basement.  When that was finished, they lived in it and he was going to build the upper part as soon as he could.   When this fatality occurred, Marell rented the basement and lived with us for a while.  She bought a home in Sandy, but couldn’t seem to adjust herself, so she moved back with us and rented her home.

In Sept of 1947, we left Utah and moved to sunny California.  We bought a chicken ranch in Riverside.  In a partnership with our son Curtis J.  (Jay). We sold out all we had in Utah and went into the chicken hatching egg-raising business.  We did very good the first year and then the bottom dropped out of the market, and Jay said we’d better get out.  We had every cent we owned tied up in it, so I said I’d have to stay, thinking it might get better, but it got worse.  My dear wife would drive to Los Angeles and peddle our eggs, as the hatchery wouldn’t buy them because they couldn’t sell the chicks.  She also had a route at DeAnna and Sherman institute.  Traveling north on Jackson street a truck loaded with cement and steel going east on Colorado St., collided with her.  It was a miracle she lived the way she was broken up, but the good Lord was kind and through faith and prayers by the Church members, she got well.  I had gone to work at a feed store.  We had sold our chickens and still owed a $1200 feed bill.  I had been working at the feed store only about a month when a fellow came in one day and asked for Guy Murray.  I told him I was he, and he said are you a shoe repairman?  I said I was, so he asked me if I would like to work for the Sherman Institute doing the repair work.  I said maybe.  He had gotten the information from Lawrence Jones who was the ward clerk, and had seen my green card that I was a shoe repairman. So I went for an interview, and as expected went to the doctor for an exam.  When I took my shirt off, he saw the scar and asked me if it was a perforated ulcer?  Huh! Huh! I said yes about 35 years ago. He said hell you haven’t even had ulcers and gave me a work slip.  I went back to the feed store and told Mr. Sniden I was going to work for Sherman. He said you better stay here, you won’t like it there. But I said I’d like to try it, if I don’t like it, I’d come back.  He was paying me $1.00 p/hr and I’d get $2900.00 a year at Sherman.  (I think the Sherman Institute was where guy worked with the Indians).  I drove to work the year in a 1935 panel Chev truck as the car was totally destroyed in the wreck, and we had no insurance to fix it.   

Brother Jones was the carpenter shop teacher at that time and was remodeling a little 2 bedroom house and being a good friend he built it about the way I wanted it as I had put in a bid for it and got it.  It was a real nice little home.  We had a small garden and many beautiful flowers. I planted 3 peach trees and an apricot tree.  We had a lot of delicious fruit from them.  We had one banana tree and got three bananas from it. They were small but real good.  Then in June 1961, they told us we had to move as they were going to tear down our house and build a kitchen and dining room onto their house which they did.  I moved our roses and some shrubs and flowers. We moved a short distance from my shop as I am teaching practical arts.  I have 6 classes a day with 7 to 16 boys in each class.  I have enjoyed my work with the Indian people for the past 14 years.  One more year and I will retire and I haven’t decided as yet just what I will do.

I would like to reminisce a little and go back to my boyhood when I was 13.  We got up one morning and our horses were gone.  We used to turn them loose to graze as we had no hay and there was plenty of good feed for them, so my father got on the saddle horse which we kept at night to round them up with, and started to hunt for them.  He came back at noon, but hadn’t found them, so he took off again.  I started out on foot and just about a half mile from our place a small cottonwood grove of trees.  I though of Joseph Smith and how he got his prayers answered, so I knelt down among the trees and prayed that my father would find our horses.  I then went back home and in about a half hour my father came with the horses.  He said something told him to go up a draw he had already searched.  He did and found them.  I have always had a lot of faith, many incidents have happened where my prayers have been answered, I have been Elders quorum Pres. and a counselor in our branch. I am now High Priest group leader, and have been for the past 12 years.  I have been sick and healed by faith.  I have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.